Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver Unix Getting Started Guide
This guide will lead you through the download and installation of the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver.
At the end you will be able to access your ODBC data source using a sample client application supplied, use third party ODBC applications or create your own applications using the development tool of your choice.
The process will take approximately 10-15 minutes, excluding software download time.
If you are installing in order to evaluate the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver, the process will allow you to obtain a free trial license.
The instructions for the Unix installation of the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver are quite specific. For installation details on any alternative platforms please refer to the product manual (HTML or PDF).
- The Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver is to be installed on a Unix system for which you have
- Your Sybase Database Administrator has provided a database name, user name and password as well as the host name, on which the database is running, and the port, on which Sybase is listening.
The process is in four steps:
- Download the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver software.
- Install and configure the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver.
- Access your data source using the sample client application provided.
Step 1. Login
- Login. If you have not yet done so, you need to register first. On the registration form, an asterisk (*) indicates that a field is mandatory.
Step 2. Download the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver software
- Select Download from the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver section of the website.
- On the Download window, select the platform you require and click download.
- Follow your browser instructions to save the distribution file to a temporary directory on the target platform.
Step 3. Install and configure the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver
- Ensuring that you are still logged onto your Unix system with
rootaccess, change into the directory where the distribution was saved.
- Untar the distribution file using the following command, substituting the version number and platform from your distribution filename:
tar xvf odbc-sybase-version-linux-glibc.tar
- This will create a directory called odbc-sybase-version-platform. Change into that directory.
- Type ./install to start the install. Select the defaults except where prompted to enter the physical Database name, User Id, Password, Server Host Name and Server Port Number fields.
- At the end of the install you will have installed the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver.
Step 4. Access your data sources
- Change directory to /usr/local/easysoft/unixODBC/bin.
- To access your Oracle data source from Unix using isql, type:
./isql -v SYBASE
- At the prompt you will be able to enter SQL commands to query your database, such as:
SQL> select @@version
- You are now ready to access the Easysoft ODBC-Sybase Driver from your own applications or development tools.